Growing up, my parents had the same attitude towards work. We all had our chores or assignments around the house. It was not as organized when I was younger, but we all had to participate in our house projects or do what we were told by our parents. Later on, we had to learn the value of taking the initiative. Even though you are not told to do something, and you see it needs to be done, do it. That was something I learned quickly especially as the oldest child of a single parent.
"You do not grow unless you work." I love this quote; it is completely true in all respects. You can not progress at all if you do not work. Work on your talents, schooling, relationships, testimonies, etc. There is another quote by Gordon B. Hinckley that says something to the respect of when a person gains a personal testimony, he is not motivated by outside things, but by the conviction of his heart. It remind us that faith is such a big part of our lives. We push ourselves to be better and closer to Heavenly Father because we believe--know it's true. We work on our testimonies, we are stretched because we believe it's true. We work on these Gospel principles because we have made it a goal in our life to return to our Father in Heaven.
I also like how Gordon B. Hinckley says that we like play and that we do need it. But play does come in moderation. When I went to the Lion House about a month ago, I found a really cool saying by Brigham Young, "Eight hours of work, eight hours of play, and eight hours of sleep makes a day." We need work, and we need play, and we most definitely need the play, but it all comes with balance.
No comments:
Post a Comment